ICTAS: ICTAS II
Located on Washington Street in the Life Sciences District of the Virginia Tech campus, ICTAS II encompasses 42,190 square feet of research laboratories, office space, and conference rooms supporting inter-disciplinary, collaborative research efforts at the university. Opened in 2011, the building has been recognized by the Green Building Certification Institute as LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certified to the Gold level.
The features of the building that contribute to this certification include
- A water-cooled chiller, central steam supply, variable frequency fan drives, high performance window glass, and efficient exterior lighting reduce energy consumption.
- Window overhangs and vertical fins provide exterior shading.
- Green cleaning/housekeeping program.
- The open exterior space around the building is more than double its architectural footprint.
- Low-emission materials were selected as adhesives and sealants, paints and coatings, carpet, composite woods and agrifiber products.
- Occupancy sensors and carbon dioxide monitors allow efficient management of lighting and ventilation.
- Access to bus routes, bicycle storage, and a change room support alternative transportation.
- Bioretention design for quantity and quality control and porous pavers support stormwater management.
- Water-efficient landscaping includes native plants and needs no irrigation.
- Enhanced commissioning during startup and refrigerant management.
- Construction waste management: over 80 percent was diverted to recycling or reuse.
- Building materials include 10 percent recycled materials, 10 percent regional materials, and certified wood.